Aims of Deniliquin Mental Health Awareness Group
1. Increase Awareness of Mental Health to:
- Consumer and Carers/Family
- Health Care Providers
- General Public
- All levels of Government-Local, State and Federal
2. Provide Network Meetings and Forums for service providers to stay updated on the capacity and nature of service delivery of all providers of mental health services in Deniliquin
3. Facilitate Consumer Access by providing and publicising a co-ordinated, local reference point for Agencies and Groups providing Mental Health Services , specifically through the website www.denimentalhealth.org.au
4. Decrease Stigma, associated with Mental Illness by facilitating Mental Health education opportunities at various venues, including all media outlets and promoting co-ordinated special community projects e.g. Mental Health month
5. Lobby/advocate for an increase in all mental health Services and funding, esp. in local and regional area when an opportunity presents itself
- Formation of Drop-in-Group, which existed for 8 years prior to other psycho-social rehabilitation groups .This provided a therapeutic focus and routine for many, as well as peer-group interaction
- Research and design of Accessline pamphlet and distribution of such when it was introduced
- Presentation at Mental Health Services conference, Adelaide 2006
- Active participation in Mental Health week each year over the past 8 years with events such as Forum presentations, lunches, art exhibitions, information kiosks etc.
- Introduction of MHFA ( Mental Health First Aid ) into the community in 2005
- Mini Mental Health Conference in 2006
- Mental Health Matters Award for NGO/Community group in 2006 ( NSW Mental Health INC)
- 2007 Development and launch of Deniliquin Mental Health Awareness Group web site.
- Mental Health Matters Certificate of Commendation for NGO/Community group in 2008 Mental Health Week 2008
- Building Resilience Brochure” now published in local telephone book every year
- Mental health lunches and expo’s
- Good Friends Help us Bounce Back” Dinner and highlighted by presentation of the play “Inside Out” by Christine Duncan Productions at Deni RSL in 2010
- ” Big Blue Day” 2012
- Big Blue Day at Deni High and now an annual event at the high school
- Beyond Blue Workplace Training in 2013
- Ongoing direct advocacy to health services and all levels of governance
- Ongoing networking event in conjunction with Mental Health Professionals Network
- Carpe Diem March 2017 attended by 160 people
- Let’s Talk event August 2017 with Riverina Bluebell.
The group meets 6- 8 times.
Current president/ chair is Julie Mullins
Contact Us For information about attending meetings at :
Contact by mail : PO Box 510, Deniliquin
Deniliquin Mental Health Awareness Group is an Australian, Non-profit, Incorporated, Non-Government Organisation (NGO) carrying on the enterprise of a health promotion charity for public benefit.
Our constitution is based on “Model rules for incorporated associations” with an additional Non-profit clause and a Dissolution clause. Our Incorporation No is 9887142 and our ABN is 32 344 835 480. We are endorsed for Charity Tax Concessions (Income Tax exempt, Fringe Benefit Tax exempt and GST concession), and also as Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR)
We consist of Consumers of Mental Health Services, their Carers, Health Care Providers and other interested members of the Public.